- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 6 leeks, white parts only, thinly sliced (5 cups)
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter
- 1/2 pound small russet potatoes, peeled and halved (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk (whole, 2% or 1 %)
- 1/2 cup cream or half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon minced chives
- In a 9-quart heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter. When it starts sizzling, stir in the leeks, potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce the heat, and braise for 15 minutes or until the leeks and onion are wilted, stirring and once in a while checking that nothing is burning. If the vegetables stick to the bottom of the pot, add about 1/4 cup water.
- Pour the broth and the milk over the vegetables. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Purée the soup very quickly in a blender or food processor so the potatoes will not get gummy. Taste and correct the seasoning. Strain the soup through a sieve to obtain a fine texture for the soup. Refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, add the cream and more broth to thin the soup, if necessary. Pour into chilled soup plates. Sprinkle with chives.