- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/vegetarian-red-beans-and-rice
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Vegetarian Red Beans and Rice. This vegan version of the classic Louisiana dish still retains great flavor.
- 2 cups dried red beans
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 - 6 cloves garlic
- 4 soaked sun dried tomatoes
- 2 roasted red bell peppers (see links below)
- 1/4 teaspoons cayenne
- salt, pepper and hot sauce (preferably Tabasco) to taste
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- Wash, sort and soak beans overnight, as per package instructions.
- Place soaked beans in a large Dutch oven with water and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Lower heat and continue to cook, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet and sauteé onions, celery, garlic and herbs and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add onion mixture, along with sun dried tomatoes and roasted peppers, to beans. Cover, but leave lid ajar, lower heat and simmer until beans are soft, about 1 hour. Add rice, cover completely and simmer until rice is cooked, about 25 minutes. Watch carefully and add more water or stock as needed and stir frequently.