- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Vegetarian Gravy. Here's a good all-purpose vegetarian gravy recipe. Serve it over mashed potatoes or Thanksgiving dressing, soy main courses, or whatever else your imagination conjures up.
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons flour or whole wheat flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 5 tablespoons low sodium or light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- pepper to taste
- Makes About 4 1/2 Cups
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet and saute onion and garlic for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and wipe skillet clean. Add flour to skillet and cook, stirring constantly until flour gets brown and toasted -- stir constantly, you don't want it to burn! Whisk in water or stock and soy sauce and cook, Whisking constantly until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in onion/garlic mixture and parsley. Cook for one minute more. If gravy becomes too thick, thin with additional water or stock.