- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 8 ounces (250 g) shiitake mushrooms
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) olive oil
- 3 cups (750 mL) vegetable stock or water, divided
- 1 teaspoon (15 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- Trim and discard mushroom stems. Slice caps and set aside. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine leek, onion, garlic and oil. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until very soft. Add mushrooms and 1?2 cup (125 mL) of the stock. Bring to a gentle boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add remaining 21?2 cups (625 mL) of the stock, maple syrup and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- For a clear broth, strain through a sieve and discard vegetables. For a thicker soup, using a slotted spoon, lift out half the vegetables and transfer to a food processor or blender. Process for 30 seconds or until smooth. Pour into a bowl. Repeat with remaining vegetables. Keep remaining broth liquids hot in the saucepan over low heat. Return puree to the saucepan and stir into the liquids. Store stock in clean jars with lids in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze in 2- or 4-cup (500 mL or 1 L) portions in freezer containers for up to 2 months.