- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/twice-baked-potatoes-with-sausage-and-cheese
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe to cook Twice Baked Potatoes with Sausage and Cheese. This recipe can be a main course or side dish, your choice. Serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
- 8 large (8 -10 ounces each) Idaho potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional, for a softer-skinned potato)
- 12 ounces ground turkey sausage
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- pinch white pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives (optional)
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the turkey sausage. Drain the sausage, crumble it and set aside. While potatoes are still hot (use oven mitt to hold potato), cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the interior flesh of the potato into a medium-sized bowl, leaving a shell about 1/4-inch thick all around.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potato flesh. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until hot but not boiling. Add milk to potato a little at a time, mashing it together each time. Mix in butter and mash all until smooth. Add salt, white pepper and chives, if desired and mix together thoroughly. Stir in the shredded cheese and sausage.
- Turn oven to 400° F. Using a spoon, gently fill the potato shells with the potato mixture, mounding it up high. Place filled potatoes on a baking sheet, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired, and Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until hot.
- Approximate nutritional analysis (for main course serving size -- two potato halves): 476 calories, 21 g fat, 48 g cholesterol, 738 g sodium, 18 g protein, 53 g carbohydrates.