- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Turnip Greens Southern Style. Turnip greens are supercharged with so many different nutrients, Vitamin A, folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and calcium.
- 1/2 pound sliced salt pork (or thickly sliced bacon), chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 3 pounds turnip greens
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 turnips, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Preparation time: 45 minutes (10 minutes with pre-cleaned greens)
- Cooking time: 3 hours
- Clean the greens and tear into medium-size pieces.
- In a large cast-iron Dutch oven (7 quarts or bigger), fry the salt pork over medium-high heat until cooked but not crisp. Add the greens, turning them over several times to coat with the pork drippings. Add the broth, sugar, and salt and pepper. (You can adjust the salt and pepper to taste by adding more during the last part of cooking, so don't go crazy at this point).
- Reduce heat and cover the Dutch oven, simmering the greens very gently. Greens release liquid as they cook, but check occasionally to make sure the pan hasn't gone dry. You may have to add just enough water to keep it from scorching, but never cover the greens with water.
Cook the greens until tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. If desired, add diced turnips about half way through cooking time.