- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Turkey Giblet Gravy. This recipe for classic turkey giblet gravy is perfect for an all American Thanksgiving dinner.
- reserved neck, heart, and gizzard from the turkey giblets package
- 1 medium carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thickly sliced
- 1 medium celery rib, thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 turkey liver (also found in giblets package)
- 3 tablespoons fat from poultry drippings
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a three quart saucepan over high heat, place neck, heart, gizzard, vegetables, and salt in enough water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add liver and cook 15 minutes longer. Strain broth into a large bowl. Pull the cooked neck meat off the bones and discard bones. Coarsely chop the neck meat and cook giblets. Cover and keep the broth and giblets separately in the refrigerator until needed.
- To make the gravy, remove the cooked turkey and roasting rack from the roasting pan. Pour the poultry dripping through a sieve into a 4-cup measuring cup.
- Add 1 cup giblet broth to the roasting pan and stir until crusty brown bits are loosened: pour the deglazed liquid/broth into the 4-cup measure. Let the mixture stand a few minutes until the fat rises to the top.
- Over medium heat, spoon 3 tablespoons fat from the poultry drippings into a 2 quart or larger saucepan. Whisk flour and salt into heated fat and continue to cook and stir until the flour turns golden.
- Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat that remains on top of the poultry drippings. Add remaining broth and enough water to the poultry drippings to equal 3 1/2 cups. Gradually Whisk in warm poultry drippings/broth mixture. Cook and stir until gravy boils and is slightly thick. Stir reserved giblets into cooked gravy, reheat to simmering and serve.