- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/trifle-one-easy-recipe-endless-possibilities
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- The Basic Recipe:
- 1 cake mix ( see notes below)
- 2 packets of custard or pudding mix (see note above)
- 2 bags, 1 pound each, frozen fruit or equivalent sliced fresh fruit
- 1/3 cups sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped (or to save time, use whipped topping)
- additional fresh fruit for garnish
- 1/3 cups sherry or other liquor (optional)
- Basic Instructions:
- Prepare cake according to directions on package. Let cool completely.
- Prepare custard or pudding mix according to package instructions. Let cool completely.
- Mix fruit with sherry. If you don\'t want to use alcohol, use a little water or juice instead. You want the fruit to be sitting, but not swimming, in a bit of sweetened juice. Some people like to really soak the cake in the alcohol, then add the fruit on top. I think this can tend to make the cake too soggy, so I prefer less.
- Whip the cream.
- To Assemble: Trifle is very forgiving, it takes no effort to make andÂ it looks great! If you don\'t have a trifle bowl, like the one in the photo, use any large glass bowl. It doesn\'t technically have to be glass, but it looks prettier if it is. You can also make individual servings by placing the layers in large wine goblets.
- Cut the cakes into large chunks and cover the bottom of your dish with a layer of cake. Top with a layer of prepared fruit, then a layer of custard. Repeat the process until you are out of ingredients or the bowl is full. Top with whipped cream and garnish with fresh fruit. Chill until serving time.
- To Serve: Simply scoop out servings with a large spoon.
- Trifle Tips and Variations: While a sponge cake is traditional, when a white cake is called for I often like using Angel Food Cake, as it holds up to the fruit without getting soggy. The variations below are just to get you going. I know you\'ll come up with some of your own as well.
- Low or No Fat Trifle: You can make a virtually fat-free trifle by using angel food cake, fat free pudding and low or no fat whipped topping. Strawberry Shortcake Trifle -- Yellow or Angel Food Cake, Custard and Strawberries Black Forest Trifle -- Chocolate Cake, Cherry Pie Filling and Custard Chocolate Raspberry Trifle -- Chocolate Cake, Raspberries and Custard Tropical Fruit Trifle -- Angel Food Cake, Mixed Pineapple, Mangos, Papayas, etc. and either Vanilla or Lemon Pudding, Sprinkle top with Toasted Coconut Apples & Cream Trifle -- Yellow or Spice Cake, Apple Pie Filling and Custard Peaches & Cream Trifle -- Angel Food Cake, Sliced Peaches, Optional Alcohol: Peach Schnapps or Brandy Red, White & Blueberry Trifle (my favorite) -- Angel Food Cake, Mixed Strawberries, Raspberries and Blueberries, Custard Raspberry Lemon Trifle -- Yellow or Lemon Cake, Lemon Pie Filling and Raspberries Banana Cream Trifle -- White or Chocolate Cake, Sliced Bananas, Custard
Cakes, Fruit, Other, Vegetarian, Camping, RV, Picnics, Gifts, Quick and Easy, Make Ahead, Kid Friendly, Low Fat, Eating Light, New Year's, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, English/Irish/Scottish