- Recipe created by FabFood on Jun 3, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/the-poor-chef-s-bok-choy-and-shiitake-japanese-stir-fry
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for The Poor Chef's Bok Choy and Shiitake Japanese Stir Fry, a frugal recipe that costs under $5.00 for 4 servings to make.
- 6 whole dried shitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup canned water chestnuts, drained
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 large head bok choy
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. Pour 1 cup boiling water over the shiitake mushrooms in a medium-sized bowl and allow them to sit, covered, for 30 minutes to rehydrate. Trim off the mushroom stems, and reserve the soaking liquid.
- 2. Add the mushroom soaking liquid to a large skillet. Add the garlic and ginger to the liquid in the skillet and simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the stock, water chestnuts, mushrooms, scallion, and soy sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the cornstarch together with 1/2 cup cold water; set aside.
- 4. Trim the bottom off the bok choy and discard; coarsely chop the rest. You should have about 4 cups of chopped bok choy. Place a steamer basket inside a pot, add water to the bottom of the pot and bring to a boil. Add the bok choy to the steamer basket and steam, tossing occasionally, until barely tender, about 4 minutes. Add the steamed bok choy to the skillet and stir briefly. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and simmer until the liquid is thickened.
- 5. Serve over the rice.