- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Sweet Potato Biscuits. Delightfully moist and slightly sweet, these biscuits are an American classic. The recipe also happens to vegan, diabetic friendly, and whole grain.
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 cup well-mashed, cooked sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder and salt. Work the margarine in with a pastry blender or the tines of a fork until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the apple juice, sweet potato, honey and nuts then work them in to form a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured board and knead in just enough extra flour to make the dough lose its stickiness.
- With floured hands, divide the dough into 16 equal parts. Shape into small balls and arrange on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, patting them down a bit to flatten. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one tests clean. Transfer the biscuits to a plate and serve hot.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Bread; 1 Fat