- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/sweet-pastry-crust-for-pies-or-tarts
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Sweet Pastry Crust for Pies or Tarts. This crust is almost a cross between a pie crust and a cookie, and is perfect for any dessert filling you care to pair it with.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Makes an 11" pie crust, or 8 small individual tarts
- Measure flour sugar and salt into a bowl. Cut in shortening thoroughly with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, stir egg yolk and water together. Pour this mixture into the flour/butter mixture and mix until a ball of dough forms. Shape the dough into a disc and refrigerate at least an hour before rolling out.
- Refrigerate or freeze for about 10 minutes after rolling and before baking.
- For a baked crust that will be filled later, line the shell with foil and use pie weights or dried beans to keep dough in pan and bake at 375°F. for about 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights and bake an additional 7 or 8 minutes or until lightly browned.