- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/sugar-free-low-carb-vanilla-bean-custard
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup powdered Maltitol
- 1/8 teaspoon Stevia (optional)
- whisk egg yolks and Maltitol (& Stevia) in medium metal bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and finger leaves path when drawn across back of spoon, about 4 minutes (do not boil).
- Remove vanilla pod. Cover and refrigerate custard sauce until cold, about 3 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
- To use vanilla extract instead of the bean add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla to the mixture after removing from heat.
- Total Effective Carbs per entire recipe: 8 ECC Per serving = 1.33