- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/sugar-free-low-carb-caramel-apples
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Sugar-free, Low Carb Caramel Apples. Now those on a special diet can enjoy caramel apples. Made with Maltitol, an all-natural sugar free sweetener.
- 6 medium-sized tart apples - (Granny Smith or Jonathans are best)
- 6 craft sticks (I prefer to use the fat craft sticks available at craft stores because they are sturdier)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups Brown Maltitol®
- 1 cup Sugar-free Vanilla Syrup
- 1 cup pecans finely chopped
- When ready, line a cookie sheet with waxed or parchment paper and push the craft sticks into the center of each apple. Put the pecans nearby in a shallow bowl.
- Mix together cream, Brown Maltitol, and Vanilla Syrup, in a heavy 2 quart pot, stirring often and cook on medium heat to 240° or softball stage. This volume can take up to 20-25 minutes to reach this temperature so you must be patient. It will reduce down by half and begin to thicken.
- Leave in the pot but turn off the heat. Place each apple in the center of the pot and using a long handled wooden spoon scoop up the caramel to coat the apple while turning it with the stick. Be careful this mixture can burn. When coated, lift up the apple and let the excess drip off for a few seconds. Immediately dip the bottom of the coated apple in the pecans and transfer to the parchment paper. Repeat until all six apples are coated.
- Total Carbs: 100 Effective Carbs per Serving: 15.3