- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/spinach-moussaka-pareve-or-dairy-options
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Spinach Moussaka -- Pareve or Dairy Options. This is a perfect vegetarian Passover dish. Reprinted with permission from Joan Kekst's Passover Cookery.
- 4 matzoh slices
- 1 1/4 pound fresh spinach, stems removed or 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen spinach
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons almonds, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon feathery dill leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons matzoh meal
- 2 eggs plus one egg white
- 1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- grated nutmeg
- Thoroughly Drain frozen spinach or wash fresh spinach, remove stems. Cook fresh spinach in salted water for 2 minutes, Drain and chop.
- Sauté onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil until golden, add the mushrooms. Cook until mushroom juices evaporate. Season with salt and pepper, add the spinach, lemon juice and almonds, remove from heat. Cool.
- Lightly beat 2 eggs with a pinch of salt, stir into spinach mixture. Adjust flavor and add dill and a bit of matzo meal if needed. Brush matzo in pan with oil and spread with potatoes. Top with the spinach mixture, cover with remaining matzo and Brush with oil.
- Beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon oil, add nutmeg and Brush on matzo. Bake 50 minutes, baste with remaining egg white and grated nutmeg several times. Bake until top is lightly browned.
- OPTIONS: Add 1 cup ricotta cheese to the spinach mixture for a hearty dairy meal during Passover, if desired.