- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 22, 2010
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/southern-candied-sweet-potatoes
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Traditional sweet potato with a candied twist perfect for the holidays.
- 6 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Rinse, peel and cut sweet potatoes into slices.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a heavy skillet and add the sliced sweet potatoes.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cover the sweet potatoes with sugar mixture and stir. Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and cook for about 1 hour or until potatoes are "candied". They should be tender but a little hard around the edges and the sauce will darken. Stir occasionally while cooking. Stir in the vanilla just before serving. Serve hot.