- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/south-beach-diet-spicy-citrus-shrimp
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for South Beach Diet Spicy Citrus Shrimp. Lemon and orange liven up these garlicky shrimp, made spicy with a bit of red pepper flakes.
- 1 lemon
- 1 navel orange
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 30 mediums shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Makes 10 (3-piece) Servings Prep Time: 15 minutes Marinating Time: 30 minutes or overnight Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Cut the zest from the whole lemon, then peel and chop half of the fruit. Cut the zest from half of the orange, then peel and chop half of the fruit. Place lemon and orange zests and chopped fruits in a medium bowl. Add oil, garlic, black pepper, and pepper flakes; stir to combine. Add shrimp and toss to coat well. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Remove shrimp from marinade, allowing bits of citrus to stick. Discard marinade. Season shrimp lightly with salt; grill until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Squeeze a little fresh lemon or orange juice (or a combination of both) from the remaining fruit halves over the shrimp just before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Make-Ahead: Shrimp can be marinated up to 1 day in advance and grilled up to 6 hours ahead. Refrigerate grilled shrimp until ready to use; bring to room temperature before serving.
- Nutrition Per Serving: 60 calories, 4.5 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 4 g protein, 2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 25 mg sodium.