- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/south-beach-diet-apple-butternut-squash-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Makes 6 (1 1/2-cup) Servings
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add squash, cover, and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add stock and simmer until softened, 15 to 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer solid ingredients to a blender with apple cider and purée until smooth. Add 1 1/3 cups of the cooking liquid and purée until smooth. Stir back into the pan. Serve hot.
- Per serving: 160 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 6 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 135 mg sodium.