- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- For the Shanks:
- 3 lbs veal, pork or lamb shanks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon, crushed
- 1 large onion, minced
- For the Gremolata:
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1. Gloss the pot of a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner.
- 2. Tie the shanks with kitchen string around their middles to keep the meat together during cooking. Combine the flour, salt and pepper on a sheet of wax paper. Roll the shanks in the seasoned flour. 3. If time permits, warm the oil with the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter melts, brown the shanks on both sides. Transfer the shanks to the slow cooker as they are done. Then add the onion, garlic, wine, bouillon cubes, and thyme to the slow cooker. If time is short, place onion, garlic, shanks, wine, crushed bouillon, and thyme in the slow cooker.
- 4. Cover and cook on low for for 6 to 8 hours, until the meat is fork tender.
- 5. While the meat cooks, prepare the gremolata by mixing together the parsley, zest, and garlic in a bowl.
- 6. Place the meat on a serving platter and spoon the sauce around and over the shanks Sprinkle with gremolata and serve.