- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/slow-cooker-mile-high-shredded-beef-sandwiches
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Diabetic Friendly Slow Cooker Mile High Beef Sandwiches. Here’s a healthy version of a “Dagwood” sandwich.
- 3 pound chuck roast, or round steak, trimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 cups lower-sodium, 98%-fat-free beef broth
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 drops Tabasco® sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-quart
- 1. In skillet brown both sides of meat in oil. Add onions and celery and sauté briefly. Transfer to slow cooker. Add broth.
- 2. Cover. Cook on Low 6-8 hours, or until tender. Remove meat from cooker and cool. Shred beef.
- 3. Remove vegetables from cooker and drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups broth. Combine vegetables and meat.
- 4. Return Shredded meat and vegetables to cooker. Add broth and remaining ingredients and combine well.
- 5. Cover. Cook on High 1 hour. Remove bay leaf.
- 6. Pile into 8 sandwich rolls and serve.
- Exchange List Values: Carbohydrate 1.0, Meat, lean 3.0
- Basic Nutritional Values: Calories 239 (Calories from Fat 88), Total Fat 10 gm (Saturated Fat 2.4 gm, Polyunsat Fat 1.3 gm, Monounsat Fat 4.6 gm, Cholesterol 73 mg), Sodium 444 mg, Total Carbohydrate 12 gm, Dietary Fiber 1 gm, Sugars 8 gm, Protein 25 gm.