- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/slow-cooker-coq-au-vin
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for cooking Crock Pot Coq au Vin. Imagine coming home from a hard day at work to a hot meal of Coq au Vin. If you use your slow cooker, this classic French dish couldn't be easier.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 chicken (2 1/2 to 3 lbs) cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 12 pearl onions, peeled (frozen OK)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Put onion, garlic and mushrooms in slow cooker. Add chicken, bacon and any leftover juices from the skillet. Mix remaining ingredients except wine and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Turn heat to HIGH and add wine. Cook for an additional hour. Serve over rice or potatoes.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to drain but reserve the bacon fat. Brown chicken pieces on all sides in reserved bacon grease. After chicken has browned, pour cognac over it and ignite with a match. Note: Use extreme caution when igniting alcohol -- stand back and always have proper fire safety precautions handy. Mover the skillet