- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/slow-cooker-chicken-with-champagne-and-cream
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon thyme, crushed between fingers
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup champagne
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream Optional garnish:
- portabello mushroom slice and chive sprigs
- Season the chicken breasts with thyme, salt and pepper and then sauté lightly in the butter. Transfer the sautéed chicken to slow cooker.
- In the sauté pan, add the flour to the butter in the pan, stirring to make a roux. Then stir in the champagne and cook till sauce thickens. Pour sauce over chicken in slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on low setting for 3-4 hours, or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and keep warm on a heated platter. Turn heat setting to low and stir the heavy cream into slow cooker to 'finish' your sauce. Cook only until sauce is heated through. Swirl in 1 tablespoon of butter (optional). Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
- Cook's Note: Garnish each serving with a large slice of sautéed portabella mushroom and sprigs of fresh chive for that extra touch.
- A Tip from the Kitchen:
- If you find your sauces or gravies are coming out too thin, uncover the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes on high setting to reduce the liquid and 'finish' the sauce. Color not right? - add some Kitchen Bouquet®, Sauce Robert® or paprika. Enrich your sauce by swirling in one tablespoon of butter at the very end - (it's a French thing.)