- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Schav -- Sorrel Soup. This forgotten soup of Eastern Europe serves well hot or cold and is elegant in its simplicity.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound fresh sorrel, stems included, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in your soup pot over medium-high heat and sauté the onions for about 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the sorrel and season with salt and pepper. simmer until the sorrel is olive green in color, about 10 minutes. Using a blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
- For the Manischewitz texture, you can then strain the soup through a fine-mesh sieve. Serve hot or cold.