- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Rosemary Bread. This functional herb has many varieties. Use fresh rosemary for this mouth-watering bread.
- 1 package (2 teaspoons) dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- 1 beaten egg
- In a large bowl, add the yeast to the warm water, add sugar. Let stand until foamy. This should take 5-10 minutes. Add the rosemary, salt, whole wheat flour, and a cup of the regular flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until it's mixed and forms a loose, sticky ball. Add the remaining flour, then turn it out onto a floured surface and knead about 8 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise for an hour or until it's doubled in volume. Punch down and knead it briefly to remove air. Shape into a slightly flattened ball. Place it on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush the loaf with oil. Let rise for 45 minutes or so, until it's about doubled.
- Brush it with the beaten egg. Bake at 375°F. until the top is browned, about 45 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a rack.
- Makes 1 Loaf