- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/roasted-turkey-with-fresh-herbs-and-pan-gravy
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 fresh or frozen whole turkey
- 6 -8 whole fresh sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 -2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup poultry stock
- pan gravy
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey, reserve for gravy. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Gently loosen skin from the turkey breast without totally detaching skin and carefully place fresh herbs under the skin. Replace skin. (photo below shows lifting skin). Stuff turkey of desired.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (about 2 1/2" deep) roasting pan. Coat turkey lightly with oil and sprinkle inside and out with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Insert an oven safe meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful the pointed end of the thermometer does not touch the bone. Pour poultry stock into bottom of pan.
- Roast turkey in a preheated, 325° F. oven. To determine the approximate amount of time needed for cooking, click here for our turkey Roasting Chart. Loosely cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning, remove foil during last hour and a half of cooking time. Continue to roast until thermometer registers 180 degrees F in the thigh, or 170 degrees F. in the breast.
- Remove turkey from the oven and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving. Use juices to make pan gravy (click this link for directions).