- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/recipe-for-traditional-herb-stuffing-or-dressing
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Traditional Herb Stuffing or Dressing. Here's a good basic stuffing or dressing recipe like Cheri's dad used to make.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon savory
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 8 cups stale bread, broken into one-inch pieces
- about 3 cups poultry stock
- Melt butter in large skillet and add all ingredients except the bread and stock. Cook over medium heat until onions are soft. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the bread and stock and mix well.
- To stuff a turkey: Fill main turkey cavity and neck cavity with stuffing. Bake remaining dressing in a dish as outlined below.
- To Bake dressing in pan:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 15 x 10 inch baking dish. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil and bake until heated through, about 45 minutes. Uncover and Bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.