- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/portobello-lentil-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Portobello Lentil Soup. Portobello mushrooms give this vegetarian soup a hearty, meaty quality.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps coarsely chopped
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped with their juices
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until it softens, about 3 minutes. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften and begin to hrefease their liquid, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender and the soup has thickened, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley just before serving.