- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/pickle-recipe-old-fashioned-bread-and-butter-pickles
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Old-Fashioned Bread and Butter Pickles. These bread-and-butters are a little less sweet than most; you can increase the sugar, if you like. They're perfect for snacking or topping burgers and sandwiches.
- 6 pounds pickling cucumbers (4 - 5 inches)
- 2 pounds small onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 4 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- Makes about 4 quarts of bread and butter pickles
- 1. Gently wash the cucumbers, and remove the blossom ends. Slice the cucumbers crosswise 3/16 inch thick. In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers and onions with the salt. Cover the vegetables with ice cubes from 2 ice trays. Let the vegetables stand 3 to 4 hours. 2. Drain the vegetables. In a large nonreactive pot, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil. Add the vegetables, and slowly bring the contents to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, pack the vegetables loosely in 8 pint or 4 quart mason jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Divide the liquid evenly among the jars. Close the jars with hot two-piece caps. 3. To ensure a good seal, process the jars for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath. 4. Store the cooled jars in a cool, dry, dark place for at least 3 weeks before eating the pickles.