- Recipe created by FabFood on May 8, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/old-fashioned-southern-banana-pudding
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Old Fashioned Southern Banana Pudding - a Southern classic.
- 12 ounces (or more) vanilla wafers
- 5 or 6 sliced bananas
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- dash of salt
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Line bottom and sides of a lightly buttered 2-quart baking dish with vanilla wafers. Place a layer of sliced bananas over the wafers. Beat the egg yolks with a mixer until thick and lemon colored. Gradually mix in 1 cup of sugar, the flour, and the salt. Add the milk slowly, beating well. Place the mixture in the top of a double boiler and cook over simmering water until thick. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and let cool. Pour half of mixture over bananas. Layer again with wafers, banana slices, and custard. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add 2 tablespoons of sugar and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peaks form; spread over pudding. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until golden. May be served warm, but chilling improves flavor.