- Recipe created by FabFood on Jan 13, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/nava-atlas-vegan-leek-and-mushroom-bisque
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 3 large leeks, white and palest green parts only
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 4 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can (16 ounces) salt free pureed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup farina or Cream of Wheat
- 12 ounces mushrooms, coarsely chopped or sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning (such as Mrs. Dash)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups rice milk, or as needed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Makes 6 to 8 Servings (Nutritional Info Calculated on 7 Servings)
- Slice the white and pale green part of the leeks lengthwise, then into 1/4-inch slices. Rinse well to remove all grit.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the leeks and sauté over medium heat until limp. Add the water with the bouillon cubes (or the vegetable stock), and pureed tomatoes. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat until the liquid is at a very gentle simmer. Slowly sprinkle in the farina, whisking it in as you do.
- Add the mushrooms and the seasoning. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Stir in enough rice milk to give the soup a slightly thick consistency, then season with salt and pepper. simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the soup stand off the heat for at least an hour. Heat through, then adjust the consistency with more rice milk if necessary before serving. Adjust the seasonings, then serve. Per Serving: 178 Calories; 5g Total fat; 5 g Protein; 3g Fiber; 30g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 96mg Sodium.