- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/mollie-katzen-s-the-enchanted-broccoli-forest
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Mollie says she came up with this ingenious presentation of broccoli trees planted in herbed rice pilaf for two artist friends.
- 2 cups brown or white rice
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon butter or canola oil (plus a little extra for the pan)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint (or 3 teaspoons dried)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- pepper to taste
- cayenne to taste
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 pound Swiss or cheddar cheese, grated
- a little extra butter for the top
- Trim the tough bottoms from the broccoli stalks and cut the tops into smallish spears of whatever size suits you.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan. Melt the butter or heat the oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven. Add the onion and salt and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Add the garlic and the lemon juice and saute for about 2 minutes longer. Stir in the rice, some black pepper and cayenne to taste along with the optional ingredients. Taste to correct salt, if necessary, and spread in the prepared pan.
- Now the fun part. Arrange the broccoli upright in the rice, and, if desired, drizzle with melted butter. Cover loosely with foil and bake just until heated through (15 -20 minutes). Serve right away.