- Recipe created by FabFood on Oct 29, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/mini-cheese-and-walnut-cabbage-rolls
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 head cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 Italian plum tomato or other small tomato, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 1/4 cups grated fat free Mozzarella or Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1/4 cup low-cholesterol egg product
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. With a small sharp knife, remove and discard the white core from the center of the cabbage. Drop the whole cabbage into the boiling water and cook 10 – 12 minutes. Remove the cabbage from the water and let stand until cool enough to handle. Carefully peel away 12 of the outer leaves, keeping them as whole as possible, and set aside to be stuffed.
- Chop enough of the remaining cabbage to make 1 1/2 cups and place in a large bowl. (What’s left of the whole cabbage will be used later.)
- To the chopped cabbage add the broth, raisins, tomato, crumbs, cheese, walnuts, egg product and rosemary. Stir vigorously to combine, then season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste. You will have about 3 cups of stuffing.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Get out a 9-inch square baking dish, or other sizable dish that will hold the cabbage rolls snugly.
- Lay the whole cabbage leaves on your work surface. Place about 1/4 cup of the stuffing near the base of each leaf. Fold in the sides to cover the filling, then roll each leaf up like a carpet, to make a neat sausage-shaped package. Place the rolls, seam side down and close together, in the baking dish. Separate the leaves on what remains of the whole cabbage and lay them, overlapping, on top of the rolls. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool about 10 minutes, then remove and discard the leaves from the top. Serve the cabbage rolls warm or at room temperature.
- Serves 6: 1 serving= 2 rolls Nutrition information per serving: 252 calories, 14g protein, 29g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 519mg sodium, 3mg cholesterol, 10g total fat, 1g saturated fat