- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Mile High Apple Pie. If you like more apples and less crust, this is the pie for you. It uses so many apples, you may have to carefully balance them in the shell before putting the top crust on.
- double recipe of basic pie dough (see below for recipe links)
- 10 medium sized baking baking apples (most any variety with the exception of Macintosh will do), peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning
- Make pie dough. Set aside. (Click for recipe and instructions.)
- Preheat oven to 375Â° F. Peel, core and slice the apples. Mix sugar and spices together. Pour sugar mixture over fruit and stir until well mixed and coated. Set aside.
- Roll dough and line the bottom of a 9" pie pan. Roll out dough for top, and don't forget, with all those apples, you'll have more area to cover than with the average pie. Make it large!
- Fill pie shell with apple mixture. Dot with pats of butter. Cover with top dough. Brush pie with beaten egg. Loosely cover pie with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning and bake for twenty five minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake for another twenty minutes or until nicely browned. Allow to cool at least 20 minutes before serving.