- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/matt-martinez-s-charro-beans
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Matt Martinez's Charro Beans. Now you can get the same great Tex-Mex taste at home, no matter where home may be.
- 1 pound dried pinto or black beans
- 12 cups water, divided
- 6 ounces salt pork, sliced
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers or 4 fresh serranos or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Sort and rinse beans. Place in a large pot; add 6 cups water. Soak overnight or for at least 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Drain beans. Add 6 cups fresh water and the salt pork Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Then add tomatoes, onion, peppers, garlic and salt. Cook until tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add water occasionally to keep the beans soupy.
- Adjust salt if needed. Add cilantro at serving time. Hold on low heat. Remove whole peppers and use as a garnish, or break one in two and leave in the pot if you want spice.
- For a special treat, add a whole zucchini squash with the tomatoes. You won't believe the smoothness and flavor. When serving, break off a little piece for each serving.
- For Drunk beans: Gradually add one Lone Star or lesser beer (at room temperature) while beans are cooking in place of some of the water.