- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Mashed Potato Snakes-- Halloween Recipes. The Idaho Potato Commission shared this clever easy to make Halloween potato recipe.
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- neon green liquid food coloring
- 4 Pimiento-stuffed olives
- 8 Kernels frozen corn
- Prepare mashed potatoes using your favorite recipe, or click here for ours.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the food coloring to the potatoes a few drops at a time, stirring to combine. Add more coloring to achieve the desired shade of green. Spoon 1 cup of the mashed potatoes into a plastic, zip-top sandwich bag; press out the air and zip it closed. Snip one inch off of one corner at the bottom of the bag.
- On a microwave-safe plate, pipe a 4-inch diameter circle by squeezing the potatoes out of the hole in the bag. Continue to pipe concentric circles toward the center of the plate. When the bag is nearly empty, lift and squeeze the remainder to form the head of the snake. (Keep in mind that if you don't like the looks of your snake you can scrape the potatoes back into the bag and start again!). Repeat with the remaining potatoes on 3 additional plates to make a total of 4 snakes.
- To finish, carefully remove the pimientos from the olives. Snip each pimiento nearly in half lengthwise to form forked tongues. Cut slices from the olives for the eyes. Place tongues and eyes on the snakes, and finish eyes by inserting corn kernels inside the olive slices.
- If additional decoration is desired, combine 4 drops of food coloring with 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl; using a small, clean, paint brush, paint stripes or dots down the backs of the snakes.
- Reheat the snakes in the microwave and serve.