- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/masa-harina-masa-for-tamales
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 7 cups chicken, meat or vegetable stock
- 2 cups lard, butter, margarine, shortening, olive or corn oil, or any combination of these
- 1 -2 tablespoons salt
- 12 cups dry masa harina flour
- Makes About 15 Cups -- Enough for 2 Dozen Tamales
- Heat the stock until it is warm.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour with stock. Beat on medium speed for a minute or two until well combined. If your dough seems dry, don't be afraid to add additional stock. At this point your dough should resemble a thick pudding.
- If you're using oil, drizzle in oil while mixing and Beat the masa for about 10 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- If you are using butter, margarine, lard or shortening as your fat, remove the masa mixture from bowl and set aside. Beat the solid fats on high speed for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the masa mixture to the whipped fat a cup at a time until it is all incorporated. Continue to Beat for about 5-8 minutes or until the dough is a soft paste consistency.