- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/make-ahead-chocolate-and-grand-marnier-souffles
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1/3 cup sugar (plus extra for preparing ramekins)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- softened butter and granulated sugar for coating the ramekins
- Makes 10 (3/4 Cup) Soufflés
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 10 ramekins with softened butter. Coat inside of Buttered ramekins with granulated sugar, pouring out excess sugar . Set aside.
- Set a medium glass or stainless steel bowl over simmering water. Add chocolate to the bowl, stir occasionally until melted. Remove from heat and stir in Grand Marnier, vanilla and salt. Set aside. In a small saucepan, make a simple syrup by 1/3 cup sugar, the grated orange zest and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks. Slowly drizzle in syrup, while beating and continue to beat until thick and yellow -- about 2 minutes. Gently mix yolk mixture into chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- Clean beaters well to remove all traces of grease. Beat egg whites in a clean metal or glass bowl with cream of tartar. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold remaining egg whites in until mixture is just combined. Fill ramekins just about to the top. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze or bake unfrozen soufflés for about 12-15 minutes, frozen soufflés for about 15-18 minutes. Serve immediately out of the oven with sweetened whipped cream.