- Recipe created by FabFood on Oct 9, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/lulu-s-famous-peel-and-eat-shrimp
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Lulu's Famous Peel and Eat Shrimp from Lulu's restaurant in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Owned by Jimmy Buffett's sister Lucy, this waterside restaurant is a parrot head's dream.
- 1 1/2 - 2 gallons water
- 1 cup “medium” hot sauce
- 3/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1/2 cups liquid crab or seafood boil
- 1 bag dry crab or seafood boil
- 5 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup salt
- (Note: Most Creole seasoning mix has half the salt of most brands. If using another brand, you may want to reduce Creole seasoning and salt by half.) 2 – 3 pounds large headless shrimp (21/25 count) with shells
- 1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a full rolling boil.
- 2. Add shrimp. Bring back to boil. (Approximately 3 minutes.)
- 3. Turn off and cover for one minute. Remove shrimp immediately and place on top of a layer of ice in a shallow baking pan to stop cooking process.
- 4. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Drain and refrigerate. Serve with Cocktail Sauce.
- LuLu’s Clues: Shrimp should never cook over 3 – 5 minutes; overcooking results in shrimp that are hard to peel.
- Don’t be afraid that these are extra spicy because of all of the added heat. It takes that much flavoring to permeate the shells.