- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
If you love baked potatoes then you will swoon for this easy, tasty potato soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 6 cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 1 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 1 scallion, sliced (optional)
- In a heavy bottom pot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat; add the onions and salt; cook until just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes; add the potatoes and stir well; cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the potatoes soften as well.
- Add the chicken broth and stir well; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the milk; add the bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons, and stir well. Stir in the cheddar until melted. Taste, and season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup between four bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon of sour cream, 1/2 tablespoon of bacon and scallions, as desired. Serve immediately.