- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/lemon-and-sultana-buttermilk-pancakes
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 1/3 cup sultanas or golden raisins
- 1/4 stick unsalted butter
- To Serve:
- plain yogurt
- maple syrup
- In a grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and, using a large metal spoon, carefully fold into the batter together with the lemon rind and sultanas.
- Heat a little butter in a large frying pan until bubbling, tilting the pan to coat the sides. Ladle 4 tablespoons batter into the pan to form a thick pancake about 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter.
- Cook over low to moderate heat for about 2 1/2 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface. Slide a palette knife under the pancake and flip. Brown the underside of the pancake for 2 1/2 minutes. The pancake should puff up and thicken.
- Turn the pancake out onto a wire rack lined with a clean tea towel and baking parchment. fold the paper and towel over the pancake. Repeat to make eight pancakes. Re-butter the pan as necessary and stack the cooked pancakes between sheets of parchment. Serve with yogurt and maple syrup.