- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/korean-cabbage-kimchee
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Korean Kimchi or Pickled Cabbage, Korea's national dish. This delicious pickled Napa cabbage is pungent and spicy.
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon pickling salt 6 cups water
- 2 pounds Chinese (Napa) cabbage, cut into 2-inch squares
- 6 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths, then slivered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Korean ground dried hot pepper (or other mildly hot ground red pepper)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2. Drain the cabbage, reserving the brine. Mix the cabbage with the remaining ingredients, including the 1 teaspoon salt. Pack the mixture into a 2-quart jar. Pour enough of the reserved brine over the cabbage to cover it. Push a freezer bag into the mouth of the jar, and pour the remaining brine into the bag. Seal the bag. Let the kimchi ferment in a cool place, at a temperature no higher than 68Â° F, for 3 to 6 days,until the kimchi is as sour as you like.
- 1. Dissolve the 3 tablespoons salt in the water. Put the cabbage into a large bowl, a crock, or a nonreactive pot, and pour the brine over it. Weight the cabbage down with a plate. Let the cabbage 3. Remove the brine bag, and cap the jar tightly. Store the kimchi in the refrigerator, where it will keep for months.