- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Judy Mills' From-Scratch Baked Beans. Guaranteed it will be worth the extra time and effort using dried beans in this recipe.
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 4 to 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups ketchup (I like Hunt's®)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (I like French's®)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Magic Dust (see related links below for recipe)
- While the beans are cooking, mix the ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder, and Magic Dust (see recipe links below) together in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon. drain the bacon on paper towels, crumble it, and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the bacon drippings and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. The onion should still be a little crunchy.
- drain the beans, reserving 2 cups of the bean water. Pour the beans and bean water into the bowl with the sauce. Add the bacon and onion and stir to combine well. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and bake for 1 hour or until bubbly.
- Will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 week.
- Place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with salted water by 2 to 3 inches. Soak the beans overnight. The next day, drain and rinse the beans. Return the beans to the saucepan and cover with fresh water by about 4 inches. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the beans