- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for making Easter Jelly Bean Biscotti. These cookies are so much fun for Easter, gifts or anytime.
- 13 ounce bag of Jelly Beans (can be more or less according to taste)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup sanding sugar (can be more or less or left out completely)
- parchment Paper (optional- but makes it much easier to remove cookies and clean up is easy!)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl or electric mixer bowl - add the butter and sugar and cream them together on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add 1 egg and beat to incorporate, add 2nd egg and incorporate then add 3rd egg and incorporate. (4th egg is used later) beat in the vanilla then add the baking powder, salt and flour, beating on low speed until fully incorporated - you do not want to mix too long. Notice that the dough is very soft and sticky. Stir in the jelly beans.
- Using a spatula, scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface. Put flour on your hands and sprinkle flour on top of the dough. Then cut the dough in half... I use my hand like a karate chop down the center. Next take one half and roll lightly back and forth making a rope - pick it up and place it on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Don't be worried if the dough is so soft it bends when you pick it up. Once you place it on the parchment paper you can shape it a little more. Do the same with the second half.
- Flatten them out on top a little with your palm. Next beat one egg in a bowl and using a brush - brush them all over to coat them evenly. Now sprinkle with sanding sugar (optional) Then place in your preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until they are slightly golden brown. When done - remove them from the oven. Let them cool for about 10-20 minutes or until they are cool enough for you to handle. Place them on a breadboard and slice them like shown in the photo - crosswise on the diagonal into about 3/4 inch slices.
- Put them back on the cookie sheet (inside up) and bake for another 10-12 minutes until the edges are turning slightly brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to wire rack to cool... ENJOY!