- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/hurtin-jalapeno-cheese-poppers
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Hurtin' Jalapeno Cheese Poppers. You will want to pop these tasty treats into your mouth because they taste so good.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Ritz® cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces firm cream cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 fresh jalapeños
- vegetable or corn oil for frying
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Mix together the flour, cracker crumbs, and salt in a shallow dish. In a separate dish, beat the egg.
- Cut the cheese into 1 by 1/2 by 1/4 inch cubes. Cut 1 1/2 inch slits lengthwise along both sides of each jalapeño. To reduce the heat, you may also open up the chiles a little more and seed and devein them.
- Insert the cheese into each jalapeño by prying it open. Chill the chiles for about 5 minutes. Dip the jalapeños in the egg to coat, drip off excess, then roll in flour mixture and shake off excess. Layer on a plate and chill again for 5 minutes.
- If you have a problem getting the coating to stick, first roughen the jalapeño skins with a fork or with a serrated knife.
- In a deep frying pan, heat oil to a depth of 2 inches over medium heat until hot, not smoking. Pop your jalapeños into the oil, turning them, for a minute or two, or until golden brown. Transfer with a slotted spoon onto paper towels to drain. Season with salt. Arrange on a serving platter and pop them into your mouth.