- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/holly-clegg-s-pulled-pork-chili
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Holly Clegg's Freezer Friendly Pulled Pork Chili. Pulled pork and chili combine to create this rich full bodied flavored chili with a twist.
- 3 pounds boneless pork loin, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, optional
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 10 ounces canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup prepared black coffee
- 1/2 cup bourbon, optional
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Makes 12 Cups
- Season the pork heavily with salt and pepper and brown in batches in a large, heavy non-stick pot coated with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat. Remove the pork from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, coated with non-stick cooking spray, sauté the onion, garlic, and bell pepper until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, and cilantro. Add the pork back to the pot along with both cans of tomatoes, honey, coffee, and bourbon. Let simmer, covered, on low heat for 2 to 3 hours or, until the pork is juicy and buttery soft. After 2 hours, add the beans, stir well, and continue cooking until the meat pulls into shreds. Using a fork shred some of the pork while it's still in the pot.
- To Prepare and Eat Now: Cool to room temperature, then transfer to freezer containers, label, and freeze.
- To Freeze: Freeze. To store, wrap, label, and freeze.
- To Prepare After Freezing: Remove from freezer to defrost. Reheat in a non-stick pot over a low heat. Alternately, you can reheat in the microwave.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 2 vegetable.