- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Hassenpfeffer or Rabbit. This classic preparation is from Sylvia Bashline's Fish and Game Cookbook.
- 2 rabbits cut into serving pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion
- 4 whole cloves
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup port
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- Stud the peeled onion with the whole cloves. Make a small bouquet
garni by tying the peppercorns, parsley, thyme and bay leaf
in a small cheesecloth pouch. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Sprinkle rabbit pieces with salt and pepper and sauté
in the butter until brown on all sides. Place in a 3 quart casserole.
Add salt, bouquet garni and studded onion, followed by the
lemon juice, port and stock or boullion. Cover and bake for 1 1/2
hours. Ten minutes before it's done, remove the cheesecloth bag.
The pan juices can be thickened to make