- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/guilt-free-buttermilk-fried-chicken
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 fryer chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C). Remove the skin from all pieces of chicken except the wings and put chicken into a large, heavy-duty plastic storage bag. Add the buttermilk, garlic, mustard and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Squeeze the air from the bag, seal tightly and shake the bag to evenly coat the chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours, gently shaking the bag periodically.
- Spray a heavy-gauge, non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix bread crumbs, flour, cayenne, paprika and the remaining 1 tsp. salt on a plate. Drain the chicken. Turn each piece of chicken in the bread crumb mixture to coat all over, and place, bone side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Let site for 5 minutes, then spray the chicken to coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Place the baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the pieces of chicken over with a spatula, taking care not to dislodge any coating, and reposition the sheet in the middle of the oven. bake until the chicken is well browned, about 20 minutes.