- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 4 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 green tea bags
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso (see factoid)
- 4 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, cut in fine ribbons
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh tomato
- 1 green onion (white and green parts), very thinly sliced, for garnish
- Heat 1 cup of the stock to boiling. Remove from the heat. Add the tea bags and steep for 3 minutes. Remove the tea bags and discard. Set aside the tea/stock mixture.
- Heat the oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes, or until just starting to brown. Add the ginger and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the remaining 3 cups stock and bring to a boil. Whisk in miso until dissolved. Add the tofu, spinach, mushrooms, tomato, and the reserved tea/stock mixture and simmer for 1 minute. Serve warm, garnished with the green onions.
- miso Factoid: Non-pasteurized miso not only contains beneficial bacteria and their enzymes (probiotics), it also contains richer flavors and aromas that are otherwise lost in the process of pasteurization.
- Nutrient Analysis Per Serving: 108 calories; 7g protein; 11g carbohydrates; 5g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 4g monosaturated fat; 50mgs omega-3s; 3g fiber; 5g sugar; 313mg sodium.
- Cheryl Forberg, RD is a registered dietitian and professional chef, and currently serves as nutritionist for the NBC reality series The Biggest Loser and as an advisor for Prevention magazine. She has written or contributed to nine books, including Stop the Clock! Cooking, The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook, and Healthy Heart Cookbook for the American Medical Association. In 2005, she won the prestigious James Beard award for healthy recipe development. To learn more about Cheryl and her work, visit her Web site at www.cherylforberg.com.