- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/fruit-and-cream-cheese-coffee-cake
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Fruit and Cream Cheese Coffee Cake. Bake this awesome coffee cake for breakfast or brunch. You'll be very popular! Use whatever flavor preserves you like. Boysenberry is my personal favorite.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 envelope (or 1 tablespoon) yeast
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup preserves (raspberry or boysenberry work well)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 egg beaten
- small amount vegetable or canola oil
- Lightly coat a large bowl with vegetable or canola oil. Place dough in bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel and place in a warm, draft-free are until the dough has doubled in size. This should take about an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350Â°F and grease an 8\" X10\" (or larger) baking pan.
- Beat together cream cheese, egg and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- When dough has doubled, punch it down and use a floured rolling pin on a floured surface to roll in into a rectangle, roughly the size of your baking sheet. Place dough on greased baking sheet. With a sharp knife, score the dough into thirds, lengthwise. Spread the preserves evenly over the center third of the dough. Use a sharp knife to cut strips at 1\" intervals along the two outside thirds. Carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over the preserves. Starting at one end, alternately cross the cut strips over the center (see photos). Tuck in strips at bottom.
- Brush top of coffee cake with Beaten egg. Sprinkle sugar and almonds over top. Cover coffee cake and let rise again, until almost doubled (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 350Â°F oven for about 40 - 45 minutes or until golden brown and the filling has set. Allow to cool slightly before serving.