- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Fresh Masa for Tamales. Here is a great basic tamale masa recipe made with fresh masa. Unprepared fresh masa is the basis for this dough.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken, meat or vegetable stock
- 2 cups lard, butter, margarine, shortening, olive or corn oil, or any combination of these
- 1 -2 tablespoons salt
- 5 pounds fresh unprepared masa
- Makes about 30 cups -- Enough for About 5 Dozen Tamales
- If you're using butter, margarine, lard or shortening as your fat, beat the solid fats on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Alternate adding the fresh masa mixture with the warm stock, a cup or so at a time until it is all incorporated. Continue to beat for about 5-7 minutes or until the dough is a thick paste consistency.
- If you're using oil, put the fresh masa in the bowl of the electric mixer and beat for a minute or two. Slowly drizzle in oil alternating with warm stock, about a cup at a time until it is all incorporated. beat on high for 5-7 minutes or until the dough is a thick paste consistency.