- Recipe created by FabFood on Jun 15, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/fresh-fig-gelato-with-orange-and-cinnamon
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 pound fresh figs, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of kosher salt
- Makes 1 1/2 to 2 Pints
- Place the figs, orange juice, 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar and the cinnamon in a small pan and cook over low heat until the figs have softened, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the skin. Mash until the mixture is almost pureed but still has some texture and set aside until it reaches room temperature. Cover and refrigerate.
- In the meantime, place the milk, cream, and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar in a small pan and cook over low heat, whisking from time to time, until it is warm, about 175°F.
- Place the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a small metal bowl and whisk until completely mixed. Add 1/4 cup of the warm milk mixture to the eggs, whisking all the while. Continue adding milk to the eggs, 1/4 cup at a time, until you have added about 1 1/2 cups. Slowly, whisking all the while, return the now milk and egg mixture to the remaining milk mixture in the pan and continue cooking until it just begins to thicken or reaches about 185°F. Do not allow the mixture to boil. Pour through a medium fine strainer into a metal bowl, discard the solids and set aside until it reaches room temperature.
- Add the cooled fig mixture, cover, and refrigerate until it reaches 40°F, about 3 hours. Transfer to an ice cream maker and proceed according to the manufacturer's instructions.